Sign In Forgot Password

A Shul Steeped In History

In the late 1800's and early 1900's many Jewish families came from "the city" to vacation in this area known as Perrineville.  There were boarding houses and bungalows and, for the more well-off, a few hotels surrounding the lake.  It was like a "mini Catskills." As people left the cities and emigrants joined their families in America, some families decided to make Perrineville their permanent home.  They bought land and became farmers. In the beginning, they worshipped in each other’s homes. In 1910 ten men began holding formal religious ceremonies and in 1925 built this building. Other current families who recalled their glorious summers as children in Perrineville, returned from the war and made this their home. We are grateful to them for creating and sustaining this "jewel of a shul". We feel blessed to worship here among families that have been doing so for over six generations.

Thu, December 2 2021 28 Kislev 5782